We are far removed from the time and culture of the biblical world, and this distance easily leads to misunderstanding and misinterpretation. Our understanding and appreciation of God's Word increase exponentially when we know the historical and cultural context in which the biblical books were written. Richly illustrated with full-color photos throughout, The Baker Illustrated Bible Background Commentary includes articles by leading Old and New Testament scholars on subjects such as:
· countries, cities, and cultures of the Holy Land and the Greco-Roman world
· trade, travel, and business
· religious groups and customs
· fashion, athletics, feasts, and celebrations
· honor, shame, and hospitality
· and much more
This colorful, informative volume is an essential companion for pastors, teachers, and laypeople who want to enhance their personal Bible study and help others do the same.
Hardcover, 1456 pages.