Questions to ask when studying the Bible
Are you a Bible study leader in search of ideas for discussion questions for you group? Or are you an individual who wants to go deeper in their own personal study of the Word? Hopefully, the following questions will serve at a catalyst to get your mind thinking about the Bible in a deeper way than you ever have before.
- Who is the author writing to or for?
- What words are used most frequently in this verse or passage? In what context are they used? What synonyms might also be appropriate to use here?
- What is the main topic of the passage?
- Is there a call to action in the passage?
- Does the passage contain any stories? Metaphors? Analogies?
- Where else in the Bible (New Testament, Old Testament, Gospels, Epistles) is the topic of this passage discussed? By whom?
- Have you ever read any books by Christian authors on the topic of this passage?
- Have you heard any sermons preached on this passage? Are they online?
Would you like more ideas for growing in your personal study of the Bible? Visit the following links to read more about some of our favorite tips, tools, and resources for Bible study.
- Have you been desiring a more consistent pattern of Bible study? In this article, How to Study the Bible, we offer five easy steps to get you on your way.
- Do you want to go deeper in your Bible study but don't know where to start? Visit the Bible Study Topics page for a list of ideas and suggestions for unique circumstances.
- The internet has made a wealth of Bible study tools available online. Our Bible study resources page is a collection of the very best of these.
- Do you need just the important facts? This Bible study guide gives you a bird's eye overview of the major divisions and books of the Bible and quick, yet meaningful context as you study God's Word.
- Is your schedule too hectic for a regular Bible study with fellow believers? If so, you'll appreciate the Forty Minute Bible Study series by Kay Arthur. Each study in the series last for six weeks and can be done in 40 minutes with no homework. Read our review of this excellent Bible study series.
- Personal Bible study is a vital part of the Christian life. We offer many excellent choices from well-known conservative teachers and writers. Visit our Bible Study categories page to browse our collections and find the perfect study for your situation.